Saturday, May 17, 2008

Welcome to my blog

Hola. My name is Brittany and I am involved with an organization called Great Commission Outreach International. GCOI is a non-profit organization out of Lima, Peru. We are dedicated to working with the local people in very poor areas. I am currently at home in Fort Myers, FL, but I will be traveling to Peru in June with David and Ceci (the Founders of GCOI) and their 2 boys. I am very close with their family and they are excited that I will be helping them during this transition time. I will be there for 1 month and then I will return home to raise money. I am hoping to return to Peru in September for good.

To understand my passion for Peru, you have to know my story. I first went to Peru on June 9, 2005. I knew the moment that I stepped off of the plane that this place was going to be a huge part of my life. Instantly Peru became part of my destiny. God put such a burning desire in my heart for the people there, I could not get away from this desire no matter how hard I tried. When I left Peru, I left my heart there. I was so distraught over leaving that I decided I had to go back, and soon. I returned to Peru after only 6 weeks of being home. My second trip was even harder than the first. I had an amazing opportunity to travel to a remote village high in the Andes Mountains. We were at about 16,500 ft of elevation. This was an experience that i will never forget. I have been to Peru on 3 different occasions, and I am very anxious to get back. I am excited about what God is doing in my life and where he is taking me.

David and Ceci currently have a church in a town just outside of Lima, called Jicamarca. Jicamarca is a very poor area, with a population of about 10,000. Some areas have electricity, but there is no running water in the entire town of Jicamarca. They have to have their water shipped in on a weekly basis. This is what we will have to do as well when we are living there.

I am a little nervous about the move, because I will be leaving my family and I do not speak the language. But I think I will learn fast. Hopefully. Even though it will be hard, I know it is God's will for my life. Please keep me in your prayers during this time of change. I am so happy to be blessed with such wonderful and supportive people in my life!

I will update you with more information soon.

Brittany (Future Missionary to Peru)

No comments: